Have you taken an IQ test that’s floating around on Facebook or somewhere to find out that you are smarter than you thought you were? Or perhaps it’s the opposite result and in reality you wonder how on earth you’ve made it this far owning your business or working in your career? As a Marketing Guide, I believe and describe your Business Intelligence Quotient (BIQ) as it directly links to your goals, the reasons you began your business career and your willingness to keep growing! One’s IQ is defined as a comparison of intelligence across the general population; but the “general population” doesn’t own their own business or lead in their industry!
I just attended an impactful business luncheon with the Arizona Technical Council, and the honored speaker talked about her experiences, how she seized opportunities and became successful regardless of circumstances that seemed insurmountable at times. Someone in the audience asked an insightful question, “Do you ever deal with the Imposter Syndrome?” In other words, did she ever feel like she didn’t know what she was doing or how to move forward when in doubt? She answered, “Yes”, and explained how through her amazing background in multiple areas of education and company leadership, one thing was consistent: she never gave up on her “Why”. Our “Why” is critical; this vital knowledge will distinguish us differently from others who come and go in our same industry. It will also protect us from the ‘naysayers’ in our lives that mean well but just don’t understand our BIQ. We must consider the positive impact, changes and customized focus that can be made within our teams versus just meeting business needs everyday through old systems we may have put into place.
Take a moment and think back…why did you get started in the first place and how can you learn more about your industry today?
Ask yourself these questions:
1) Did I know what I wanted in my career? – research and data can be sought out but what about asking deeper questions; have you taken time to personally reflect and question how things are going?
2) Do I have passion and understanding of my client’s needs? – sometimes we get busy with programs and miss opportunities; do you survey in order to find out why your clients do business with you and your company?
3) Have I utilized marketing to my best advantage? – marketing tools continue to change depending on your industry; do you feel knowledgeable about new methods or social media?
4) Does my team feel important? – many employees today are not serving to their full potential because of various reasons; are there classes available for them to increase skill set or opportunities for business development in your company?
5) Do I delegate to others? – productivity is crucial for growth in business; are you encouraging others to lead in areas that are not your strength and capitalizing on excitement that can come by out sourcing some needs in those areas?
Many business leaders I know have chosen to serve others by creating a business that fit their personality and talents. A great deal of them went to college, earned a degree and started their own business to accomplish a dream. Many joined in with others who owned a business in their field of expertise and have continued to work in successful partnerships. Some ventured into business ownership or non-profit work due to a need that didn’t seem to be met in their community and they wanted to make a difference in people’s lives. What is your “Why” and does your BIQ speak volumes about your success?
Having good business IQ means knowing what to do and/or how to delegate to find new solutions that will produce better results for your business. If you want more enjoyment from your career, consider taking a leadership course, investing in a technology skills class or seeking out a marketing expert that could improve your bottom line. Become proud of your BIQ because our community needs you to keep making a difference!
Suzette Howe is a Marketing Guide and Founder of www.ShowUhow2.com, a unique How2Team™ of professionals who partner with you to design strategic solutions and host ShowUeducation™ classes, offering all aspects of Full Service Marketing.